PBA’s online bowling channel, Xtra Frame, is continually adding events to provide PBA fans and competitors with more media coverage.
Xtra Frame has recently added three events to its live coverage schedule, and others are under consideration in addition to previously-announced coverage of all remaining PBA50 Tour events.
New to the schedule will be the PBA Grand Hotel, Casino & Resort Southwest Region Invitational from
Firelake Bowling Center in Shawnee, Okla., Sept. 5-7; the PBA Diamond Jo’s Casino Midwest Region Open from Diamond Jo Casino Cherry Lanes in Dubuque, Iowa, Sept. 13-14; and the PBA Heritage Lanes Central Region Open from Kokomo, Ind., Oct. 18-19. The Dubuque tournament is the second of the PBA Midwest Region’s three PBA Women’s Regional series events.
Also on the Xtra Frame calendar will be live start-to-finish coverage of one of the most prestigious PBA Regional tournaments of the year – the PBA Gene Carter’s Pro Shop Eastern Classic from Mid County Bowling & Entertainment Center in Middletown, Del., Aug. 2-3. The East Region “super regional” will offer a $15,000 first prize, and has expanded its qualifying format to three squads to accommodate more players.
Coverage of the PBA50 Tour continues with the Dayton Classic presented by Roto Grip, July 29-31, at Capri Bowling Lanes in Dayton, Ohio; the South Shore Open presented by DV8 at Olympia Lanes in Hammond, Ind., Aug. 4-7, and the season-ending Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open presented by Hammer at Island Xtreme Bowl in Welch, Minn., Aug. 10-13.
All of the PBA50, PBA Regional and PBA Women’s Regional events have consequences in determining the eight competition points leaders who will advance to the live Xtra Frame PBA50 Finals, PBA Regional Finals and PBA Women’s Regional Finals roll-offs during World Series of Bowling VI in Las Vegas in October. The top two players emerging from each of the eight-game match play qualifiers will advance to the PBA Challenge finals on ESPN.
To follow the competition as it unfolds, subscribe to Xtra Frame. Monthly subscriptions are $7.99. A full-year subscription is $64.99. Visit pba.com and click on the Xtra Frame link to enroll. For complete schedule details, visit pba.com and click on the appropriate event under the Schedules tab.
PBA SOUTH, MIDWEST WOMEN’S SERIES DATES UPDATED
Two events on the new PBA Women’s Regional series have been updated. The PBA South Region will host the Fayetteville South Open at Lafayette Lanes, Fayetteville, N.C., Aug. 22-24, instead of the previously announced tournament in Franklin, Va., in October, and the Midwest Region’s Diamond Jo's Casino Midwest Open presented by Dexter at Cherry Lanes, Dubuque, Iowa, will be held Sept. 13-14 instead of the previously announced dates of Sept. 20-21.
FAGAN, BOHR HELP U.S. QUALIFY FOR PAN AM GAMES FINALS
PBA and Team USA members Mike Fagan of Dallas and Nathan Bohr of Austin, Texas, helped the United States qualify for the 2015 Pan American Games bowling competition in Toronto with a strong performance during the Pan American Sports Festival in Puebla, Mexico, last week.
Fagan and Bohr helped the U.S. dominate national all-events with a combined total of 10,572 pins for 48 games of men’s and women’s doubles, singles and mixed doubles competition. The Team USA women who participated in Mexico were Kayla Johnson of Washington, Ill., and Sarah Lokker of New Baltimore, Mich.
In addition to Pan Am Games qualifying, medals were awarded in the individual events. Fagan and Bohr won the silver medal in men’s doubles, Bohr and Lokker won gold in mixed doubles while Fagan and Johnson claimed the silver medal, and Fagan and Bohr swept the top two spots in men’s singles. Fagan also won gold in the Men’s Masters while Bohr finished third for a bronze medal.
PBA REGIONAL SUMMARY: HARTUNG WINS FIRST TITLE IN FISHERS
Chris Hartung of Goshen, Ind., defeated Eugene McCune of Munster, Ind., 224-222, to win $2,400 and his first PBA Regional title in the Boss Snow Plows/Track Central/Midwest Open at PinHeads in Fishers, Ind., on Sunday, July 20.
Hartung, who is now eligible to participate in the 2015 PBA Tournament of Champions, downed Brandon Novak of Chillicothe Ohio, 445-381, while McCune topped Chris Loschetter of Avon, Ohio, 473-396, in the two-game, total pinfall semifinal round to set up the championship match.
● Amateur Kyle Sherman of O’Fallon, Mo., returned from the USBC Junior Gold Championships in Buffalo, N.Y., where he earned a berth on Junior Team USA 2015, to defeat Shea Bittenbender of St. Charles, Mo., 235-209, in the title match of the PBA St. Charles Lanes Midwest Open in St. Charles, Mo., Sunday.
Sherman won his first PBA Regional tournament and earned $2,000, but he does not get credit for a PBA title because he is not a member. Sherman defeated Charles Nelson of Lee’s Summit, Mo., 245-177, while Bittenbender edged Tom Hess of Urbandale, Iowa, 222-212, in the semifinal round to set up the championship match. Nelson and Bittenbender also are amateurs.
● Brian LeClair of Albany, N.Y. defeated top qualifier Bill O’Neill of Langhorne, Pa., 277-236, to win the PBA Homefield Bowl Eastern Open presented by MOTIV at Homefield Bowl in Yonkers, N.Y., Sunday and claim his 16th career PBA Regional title along with a $2,500 first prize.
LeClair posted an 8-3-1 match play record to qualify fourth for the stepladder finals. After dispatching Ken Yokobosky of Fredon, N.J., 224-214, LeClair romped past Ray Edwards of Middle Island, N.Y., 279-212, before defeating O’Neill.
● Nick Morgan of Sacramento, Calif. and Robby Porter of Rancho Cordova, Calif. defeated Terry Leong of Henderson, Nev. and Johnny Petraglia Jr. of Las Vegas, 502-419, to win the PBA West\Northwest Region Sands Regency Doubles at High Sierra Lanes in Reno, Nev., Sunday. Morgan and Porter each earned their second regional titles and split a $3,400 first prize.
● The July schedule concludes over the July 25-27 weekend with the PBA50 Sparetimes Hampton Southern Open at Sparetimes Bowling Center in Hampton, Va.; the Pure-It Pro Shop East Open presented by DV8 at Cedar Lanes in Lebanon, Pa.; the Farmer’s State Bank/Roto Grip Central Re-Entry Open at Angola Bowl in Angola, Ind.; the PBA50 Progressive/Gerdeman Insurance Agency/Al Smith Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep Central/Midwest Classic at Al-Mar Lanes in Bowling Green, Ohio; the Fort Sill Southwest Open presented by Columbia 300 at Twin Oaks Bowling Center in Fort Sill, Okla.; the Plamor Lanes Midwest Challenge (for non-winners) presented by Track in Muscatine, Iowa, and the PBA and PBA50 Boise Northwest/West Opens at 20th Century Lanes in Boise, Idaho.
For complete PBA Regional schedules, rules and entry information, visit pba.com, open the “schedules” tab and click on Regional Tours to find the event(s) in your area.
● Looking for a great deal on PBA logoed merchandise? Visit the PBA Tour Store for T-shirts, caps, clearance items and special buys: https://www.kotisdesign.com/estore/landing.asp?estore=pbastore