The PBA has announced is now accepting applications for the 2014 Billy Welu Scholarship Award which recognizes exemplary qualities in male or female college students who compete in the sport of bowling.
The winner will receive a $1,000 scholarship. To be eligible candidates must be amateur bowlers who are currently in college (preceding the application date) and maintaining at least a 2.5/4.0 GPA or equivalent. Applications must be postmarked by June 15.
The scholarship was established to annually recognize a college student who combines outstanding bowling talents with academic excellence. Welu, who passed away in 1974, was best known for his expert analysis alongside legendary ABC broadcaster and PBA Hall of Famer Chris Schenkel on the “Pro Bowlers Tour” series. Welu was a two-time PBA Tour champion and a member of the PBA Hall of Fame’s inaugural induction class in 1975.
The application is in two parts and can be retrieved by downloading both files using this link: http://pba.com/Corporate/Scholarships/. The application is a PDF file and requires Acrobat Reader to view and print. If you don’t have the current version of Acrobat Reader, you can download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader here.
ONE WEEK REMAINING IN PBA LEAGUE ONLINE FUND-RAISING AUCTION
The special online PBA League auction to benefit NBA star Chris Paul’s CP3 Foundation ends Wednesday, March 26, at 1 p.m. ET. The auction, which features a variety of autographed merchandise donated by PBA League members, can be accessed through pba.com (www.pba.com/auction) where all merchandise available is listed. Submit bids via email to email@example.com.
Included in the auction are a number of bowling balls and game-worn jerseys belonging to PBA League captains Jason Belmonte (L.A. X), Pete Weber (New York City WTT KingPins), Norm Duke (Dallas Strikers), Sean Rash (BROOKLYN STyLES), Mike Fagan (Motown Muscle), Bill O’Neil (Philadelphia Hitmen), Osku Palermaa (Pittsburgh Jack Rabbits and Chris Barnes (Silver Lake Atom Splitters) as well as items donated by several other PBA League competitors.
COLOMBIA’S CLARA GUERRERO FEATURED IN “SELF” MAGAZINE
Colombia native Clara Guerrero, one of three women to advance to a PBA Tour national television final and one of nine women who have won a PBA Regional title, is featured in a Self magazine feature titled, “How to Get Pro Bowler Clara Guerrero's Strong and Shapely Legs.” You can see the online version by clicking here: http://www.self.com/blogs/flash/2014/03/ommc-clara-guerrero-bowler-reversible-lunge.html
PBA REGIONAL ROUNDUP: McCUNE WINS JOINT REGIONAL IN OHIO
Eugene McCune of Munster, Ind., defeated Michael Machuga of Erie, Pa., 279-185, to win the PBA Trumbull County Visitors Bureau Central/East Open presented by DV8 at Bell-Wick Bowl in Hubbard, Ohio, on Sunday, March 16.
A live audience on PBA’s Xtra Frame online bowling channel watched McCune top a field of 126 East, Central and Midwest Region players to collect his 19th career PBA Regional title and a $2,700 first prize.
● Harry Sullins of Chesterfield Twp., Mich., defeated Jeff Richgels of Madison, Wis., 209-192, to win the PBA50 Derek Newton Allstate Midwest Open presented by Brunswick at Plamor Lanes in Muscatine, Iowa, on Saturday, March 15. The title was Sullins’ 12th in PBA50 Regional competition. He also earned $1,500.
● Danny Weikel of Bessemer City, N.C., defeated Gary Morgan of Atlanta, Ga., 207-184, 201-255, 258-212, in the best-of-three-game title match to win $1,600 and his first PBA Regional title in the PBA50 Franklin Southern Open at Franklin (Va.) Bowling Center Sunday.
● The March 21-23 PBA Regional calendar includes the San Angelo Southwest Open presented by Ebonite at Stadium Lanes in San Angelo, Texas; the PBA50 Rossi Lanes Eastern Open in Elmira, N.Y.; the PBA50 Fayetteville Lanes South Open in Fayetteville, N.C.; the Caveman Bowl Northwest/West Open presented by DV8 in Grants Pass, Ore., and the PBA50 Showtime Lanes Midwest/Central Open presented by MOTIV in Virden, Ill.
Closing out the March schedule will be the PBA50 Boys and Girls Club Midwest/Central Open presented by Columbia 300 at Liberty Lanes in Carpentersville, Ill., and the Bowlers Discount Eastern Open at Brunswick Zone Normandy in Ellicott City, Md.
For complete PBA Regional schedules, rules and entry information, visit pba.com, open the “schedules” tab and click on Regional Tours to find the event(s) in your area.
● Reminder: The starting time for ESPN’s March 30 telecast of the PBA League semifinal showdown between L.A. X and the New York City WTT Kingpins has been changed to 5 p.m. ET (instead of 4:30 as originally scheduled). The telecast also has been changed from a two-hour telecast to 90 minutes.
● Within 24 hours of noting that the PBA was less than 800 “likes” away from the 100,000 milestone on Facebook, fans pushed the PBA over the barrier. But there’s always room for more, so if you’d like to join the group of more than 100,000 followers, go to Facebook, enter “Professional Bowlers Association” in the search bar and hit the “like” button.
● Chris and Lynda Barnes will host their annual STRIKEoutDiabetes bowling fundraiser to benefit Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation on May 10 at Plano (Texas) Super Bowl. Visit strikeoutdiabetes.org to find out how you can participate.