The PBA and United States Bowling Congress have agreed upon a two-year agreement to include the USBC Masters in a showcase timeslot as part of the PBA Tour’s winter television schedule. The 2015 USBC Masters will be hosted by Ashwaubenon Bowl in Green Bay, Wis., starting Feb. 2 with the finals broadcast on Feb. 8 and the 2016 USBC Masters will return to Brunswick Zone Carolier in North Brunswick, N.J., where the event was a sellout in 2013 and 2014.
The new agreement also extends the PBA-USBC partnership related to promoting and operating PBA Experience leagues through the USBC Sport Bowling program.
"The PBA is excited to have the USBC Masters in place as part of the future PBA Tour schedule, and PBA Experience leagues are a great engagement program," PBA Commissioner Tom Clark said. "A solid partnership between PBA and USBC benefits all of bowling."
"As the national governing body for the sport, USBC is proud to support the highest level of competitive bowling and the PBA Tour through this agreement," USBC Interim Executive Director Chad Murphy said. "Having the USBC Masters as a part of the traditional pro tour schedule provides better value for the PBA, the bowlers and product manufacturers. The leadership at USBC is committed to decision-making that strengthens high-level competition for our sport."
PREVIEW OKLAHOMA’S GRAND CASINO PBA SUMMER SWING
If you’d like to take a sneak-peek at the upcoming PBA Summer Swing hosted by Oklahoma’s Grand Casino Resort and FireLake Bowling Center, visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL2Zl1SAyjg for a 60-second preview…and if you’d like to purchase tickets for either the preliminary rounds at FireLake or the CBS Sports Network stepladder finals at Grand Event Center, visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FJ0qJsYihM&feature=youtu.be
PBA REGIONAL ROUNDUP: RAYMOND, KEILY, GARBER WIN FIRST PBA REGIONAL TITLES
J.R. Raymond of Bay City, Mich. defeated Eugene McCune of Munster, Ind. by 55 pins to win the PBA Baldo Campana Central Open, benefiting the Lorain County Kids Fund, at Rebman Recreation in Lorain, Ohio, Sunday. Tim Kauble of Marion, Ohio defeated Dick Gran of Hartville, Ohio by 26 pins to win the companion PBA50 Baldo Campana Central Open. Both tournaments were presented by Radical Bowling.
Raymond finished with an 8-4 match play record and a total of 4,761 pins for 20 games, including match play bonus pins, to win his first PBA Regional title and the $2,500 first prize. Kauble finished the PBA50 event with a 7-5 match play record and 4,829 pins for 20 games, including match play bonus pins, to collect his 14th overall regional title. He earned $1,500.
● Mike Keily of Golden, Colo., defeated Jason Poli of West Des Moines, Iowa, 248-226, to win $2,500 and his first PBA Regional title in the regionally-televised PBA Midcontinent Communications Midwest Region Open at Empire Bowl in Sioux Falls, S.D., Sunday.
The stepladder finals were televised live on Midco Sports Network to an MSN audience serving western Minnesota, South Dakota and North Dakota. Poli defeated Brad Miller of St. Charles, Mo., 279-219, in the semifinal game after starting the finals with a 249-219 victory over Josh Hepp of Sioux Falls followed by a 234-22 victory over Nick Heilman of La Crosse, Wis.
● Three-time PBA Tour champion Dick Allen of Columbia, S.C., defeated Gary Faulkner of Norfolk, Va., in a best-of-three-game title match, 238-181 and 249-207, to win his 17th PBA Regional title in the PBA Rocky Mount (N.C.) South Open at The Bowling Center Sunday.
● Will Garber of Modesto, Calif., joined the ranks of first-time regional titlists when he defeated Greg Thompson Jr. of Dublin, Calif., 278-255, to win the PBA Vanessa Brown Homes Open presented by Columbia 300 at Yosemite Lanes in Modesto Sunday. Garber, the son of PBA Tour veteran Wayne Garber, also earned $2,000.
● The May 16-18 regional schedule features the PBA Lightning Lanes Challenge for non-winners in Marion, N.C., and the PBA/PBA50 Daffodil Bowl Opens presented by U.S. Foods in Puyallup, Wash.
Memorial Day weekend will include the CBS Sports Network television finals of Oklahoma’s Grand Casino Resort PBA Summer Swing in Shawnee, Okla., along with a Saturday-Sunday PBA Southwest Region event. Memorial Day weekend also will feature the Colony Park Lanes East Challenge (a reduced entry fee non-champions event) in York, Pa.; the Brookmont Bowling Center Midwest/Central Challenge (a non-champions event); the Brookmont Bowling Center Midwest/Central Re-Entry Classic presented by Radical Bowling in Kankakee, Ill., and a pair of West Region PBA50 events in Arizona – the fifth annual Lona King Sagurao West Open at Johnson Lanes in Sun City West followed by the Miller Lite Western Open at Starlite Lanes in Flagstaff.
For complete PBA Regional schedules, rules and entry information, visit pba.com, open the “schedules” tab and click on Regional Tours to find the event(s) in your area.
● Reminder: If you know a deserving young bowler who could use $1,000 in financial help to attend college, encourage him/her to apply for the 2014 PBA Billy Welu Scholarship Award. Applications must be postmarked by June 15. Eligible candidates must be amateur bowlers who are currently in college (preceding the application date) and maintaining at least a 2.5/4.0 GPA or equivalent. The application form can be retrieved by using this link: http://pba.com/Corporate/Scholarships/.