With his second victory of the year in the PBA50 Northern California Classic Wednesday in Brentwood, Calif., defending PBA50 Player of the Year Walter Ray Williams Jr. has overtaken fellow PBA Hall of Famer Amleto Monacelli by two points in the PBA50 Player of the Year race with three tournaments remaining on the 2013 schedule.
The PBA50 Player of the Year competition is based upon points earned for top four (or top five) finishes in each tournament, depending upon format. Standard tournaments award 16 points for first place, 8 for second, 4 for third, 2 for fourth and 1 for fifth (if a stepladder format is used). Major tournaments award 24, 12, 8, 4 and 2 points, respectively.
Also at stake in the Player of the Year points race are three berths in a new PBA50 Tour Finals special event that will be conducted during the PBA World Series of Bowling V at South Point Hotel, Casino and Bowling Center in Las Vegas in early November.
Williams, who won the PBA50 Sun Bowl in The Villages earlier in the year, has accumulated 42 points based upon two titles, a third-place finish in New Port Richey, Fla., and fourth-place finishes in Trussville, Ala., and the PBA Senior U.S. Open. Monacelli held an 11-point lead over Lennie Boresch Jr., and led Williams by 14 points, going into the NorCal event, but Williams passed both when the two leaders failed to finish among the top four in the match play elimination-format tournament.
Trailing Williams, Monacelli and Boresch in PBA50 Player of the Year points are PBA50 rookie Pete Weber with 26 points, Bob Learn Jr. with 20 points, and PBA Hall of Famers Tom Baker and Randy Pedersen, who are tied with 16 points each. Williams was the only player among the leaders who added points in Brentwood.
The PBA50 Tour now takes a six-week break before completing its season with the South Shore Open presented by DV8 at Olympia Lanes in Hammond, Ind., Aug. 5-8; the Decatur Open presented by Brunswick at Spare Times Lanes in Decatur, Ill., Aug. 10-13, and the Treasure Island Resort and Casino Open presented by MOTIV at Island Xtreme Bowl in Welch, Minn., Aug. 18-21.
GEICO PBA SUMMER SWING FINALS AVAILABLE ON XTRA FRAME
The finals of all five GEICO PBA Summer Swing telecasts will be available on a delayed basis on PBA’s Xtra Frame online bowling channel approximately one week after the original air date. Look for the programs in the “2012-13 PBA Tour” section of Xtra Frame.
Xtra Frame is available on a subscription basis for $7.99 per month, or $64.99 for a full year. To subscribe, visit pba.com and click on the Xtra Frame logo.
PBA REGIONAL ROUNDUP:
● Tom Smallwood of Saginaw, Mich., defeated Brian Gunn of Chicago by 49 pins to win the PBA J.D. Producing, Inc./Triway Lanes Central Open presented by Hammer at Triway Lanes in Wooster, Ohio, Sunday. Smallwood finished with an 8-3-1 match play record and a total of 4,505 pins for 20 games, including match play bonus pins, to claim his third career PBA Regional title and a $3,500 prize.
● Ryan Shafer of Horseheads, N.Y., nipped Parker Bohn III of Jackson, N.J., 204-202, to win the PBA Bethmann-Russell Eastern Open presented by DV8 at Flamingo Bowl in Liverpool, N.Y., Sunday. Shafer left a 7-10 split on his first shot in the 10th frame, giving Bohn a chance to mark for the win. But Bohn then left the 3-6-9 and failed to convert, handing Shafer his 20th PBA Regional title and the $2,500 top prize.
● In a doubleheader event in Boise, Idaho, Wayne Garber of Modesto, Calif., posted an 8-2 match play record and a 4,579 pinfall total Sunday to win $2,000 and his 11th career regional title in the PBA Northwest/West Region Boise Open at 20th Century Lanes by 191 pins over Dave Wodka of Henderson, Nev.
In the companion Boise PBA50 Open, Wayne Manwill of Boise went 4-2 in match play and knocked down 3,214 total pins to top Rob Cline of Spokane, Wash., by eight pins for his first Northwest/West PBA50 Regional title.
● As the July 15 qualifying deadline closes in to earn points for the PBA’s new Regional Players Invitational program, the balance of the June calendar includes a number of events.
The June 21-23 schedule includes a pair of “reduced entry fee” one-day American Family Insurance Midwest Open events at Oak Forest Bowl in Oak Forest, Ill.; the PBA South Region will conduct the Reality Check Classic Series South Open and PBA50 Reality Check Classic Series Ichiban Cleaning South Open, both presented by DV8, at Brunswick Harbour Lanes in Melbourne, Fla.; the PBA East will host the Homefield Bowl Eastern Open presented by Hammer in Yonkers, N.Y.; and the PBA West/Northwest Regions will combine for Secoma Lanes PBA50 and standard tournaments in Federal Way, Wash.
Closing the month over the June 28-30 weekend, the PBA East will host the PBA50 Glassboro Eastern Open presented by Columbia 300 at Glassboro Bowl and Recreation Center in New Jersey; the PBA South will conduct the PBA50 High Point Bank South Open at Northside Bowling Center in Winston-Salem, N.C.; the PBA Central and South Regions will co-op the PBA University of Phoenix Central/South Open at Hooper Bowling Center in Fort Campbell, Ky.; the PBA Southwest Region will host a non-champions Astro Super Bowl Southwest Challenge in San Antonio, Texas; and the PBA Midwest will conduct a reduced entry fee Allstate Midwest Open at Landmark Lanes in Peoria, Ill.
For complete PBA regional schedule and entry information, visit pba.com and click on “Regional Tours” under the Schedules tab.
● Through a program sponsored by CBS Sports Network and Strike Ten Entertainment, more than 2,000 participating Strike Ten Select bowling centers nationwide are displaying promotional posters in support of the GEICO PBA Summer Swing series currently airing on CBS Sports Network.
● Four-time PBA Tour titlist Mike Fagan of Fort Worth, Texas, and former Wichita State University bowler Emily Maier, a member of the Youth Development Program at the International Bowling Campus in Arlington, Texas, were married Saturday in the Metroplex area.
● Xtra Frame’s planned coverage of the Teen Masters National Finals July 1-4 from Sawgrass Lanes in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has been cancelled due to technical difficulties. Xtra Frame will be on hand to cover the Teen Masters Grand Championship Aug. 6-8 at Grand Central Terminal in New York City.
Xtra Frame’s next live coverage will be from Bowling’s U.S. Open July 22-26 in Columbus, Ohio.
● PBA “classic” tournaments will re-air on ESPN Classic on four consecutive Monday nights in July. All will be one-hour telecasts airing at 11 p.m. ET. The July 8 telecast will feature the title match of the 2012 PBA World Championship between Jason Belmonte and Parker Bohn III from the GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling IV; July 15 will feature the 2013 USBC Masters title match between Belmonte and Wes Malott; July 22 will feature the 2013 Barbasol PBA Tournament of Champions title match between Pete Weber and Belmonte, and July 29 will feature the inaugural PBA League telecast from the 2013 Detroit Winter Swing.