Based upon PBA Tour titles awarded leading into the PBA Detroit Winter Swing, International Bowling Championships 2013 supported by DHC winner Tommy Jones has moved to the top of the PBA Tournament of Champions eligibility list. The TOC eligibility list, based upon the most current title winners, includes the 48 players who have qualified to bowl in the 2013 TOC, March 27-31 at Woodland Bowl in Indianapolis.
The current eligibility list does not include title winners from the PBA Detroit Winter Swing. Those winners will be added to the list as their respective television shows air on ESPN in the weeks ahead.
Following Jones in order of most current titles are Mika Koivuniemi (Qatar Open), Parker Bohn III (PBA World Championship), Tom Daugherty (Bowlers Journal Scorpion Championship), Scott Norton (Chameleon Championship), Brad Angelo (Viper Championship), Bill O’Neill (Alka Seltzer Plus Cold Cheetah Championship), Jason Belmonte (Australian Masters) and Chris Barnes (Vienna Open).
The only first-time title winner among the 2013 TOC qualifiers is Daugherty. The player making the biggest move up the eligibility ladder since the original 2013 list was published in August is Angelo, who was 36th at that time. Three other players on the August list (John Nolen, Robert Smith and Chris Collins) have been dropped because they are no longer PBA members. Moving back into the top 48 to replace them are PBA Hall of Famers Jason Couch, Brian Voss and newly-elected Doug Kent , who are PBA members but no longer have Touring I or II status. Kent will be “bumped” if another player wins his/her first PBA Tour title prior to the TOC.
MOTOWN MUSCLE, SILVER LAKE ATOM SPLITTERS TAKE EARLY LEAD IN T-SHIRT SALES
The Motown Muscle, thanks to the presence of team owner and hometown hero Jerome Bettis during the PBA Detroit Winter Swing, is the early leader in PBA League logoed T-shirt sales, holding a slim one-shirt lead over Chris Hardwick’s Silver Lake Atom Splitters. Close behind is Billie Jean King’s New York City WTT KingPins, followed by Terrell Owens’ Dallas Strikers, Chris Paul’s L.A. X, LaMarr Woodley’s Pittsburgh Jack Rabbits and Kevin Hart’s Philadelphia Hitmen. Jesse Williams’ BROOKLYN STyLES team shirt went on sale for the first time on Feb. 6.
Fans can order the custom-designed T-shirts by clicking on the “shop” tab on pba.com. PBA League replica jerseys and PBA League plastic spare balls also are available.
PBA REGIONAL ROUNDUP
● Amateur Kristain Rogers of Waxhaw, N.C., defeated Chris Polizzi of Spring Hill, Fla. 268-247, to win the inaugural PBA South Region Non-Champions Event at Breakpoint Alley in Tavares, Fla., Sunday. Rogers, who cashed for the first time in PBA competition, earned $2,100 for his win while Polizzi earned $1,200 as the runner-up. The tournament was open only to players who had never won a PBA title.
● Amateur Aaron Johnston from Fort Smith, Ark., defeated Humberto Vazquez of Mexico, 214-193, to win the 8th annual PBA Southwest Region Houston Challenge at Del Mar Lanes Sunday. PBA Southwest Challenge events are limited to bowlers who have not won a PBA event.
● On the PBA regional calendar for the Feb. 8-10 weekend are the PBA West Region’s Jackson Rancheria Classic at Gold Country Lanes in Sutter Creek, Calif., while the PBA Midwest Region hosts a pair of one-day PBA50 events at Elk Grove Bowl in Elk Grove Village, Ill., for Midwest and Central Region players.
The only event on the Feb. 15-17 weekend schedule is the PBA South Region Dave Edwards Toyota PBA50 Open presented by Etonic at Paradise Lanes in Spartanburg, S.C. Wrapping up the month will be another pair of one-day PBA50 events for Midwest and Central region players at Beverly Lanes in Arlington Heights, Ill. The Beverly Lanes events, sponsored by Allstate Insurance, will be conducted under the PBA Regional “reduced entry fee” test program.
For complete PBA regional schedule and entry information, visit pba.com and click on “Regional Tours” under the Schedules tab.
● You can watch Sunday’s PBA Carmen Salvino Classic and PBA League pre-game show on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YUU_HW5kG4&feature=youtu.be. Free pre-game shows air on PBA’s Xtra Frame online bowling channel ahead of each two-hour ESPN telecast from the PBA Detroit Winter Swing, and a free post-game show follows each telecast.
● PBA Central Region competitor Jeff Roche of Dearborn, Mich., won the Metro Detroit USBC Masters title at Thunderbowl Lanes in Allen Park, Mich., Sunday, defeating James Koss of Brighton, 723-550, in the three-game match to win the $4,000 first prize. Roche made his PBA Tour television debut during the GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling IV where he finished third in the Alka Seltzer Plus Cold Cheetah Championship.