By Lucas Wiseman, USBC Communications
NORTH BRUNSWICK, N.J. – Hall of Famer Parker Bohn III from nearby Jackson, N.J., leads a group of eight players who made it through three rounds of matches undefeated Friday at the United States Bowling Congress Masters.
The 33-time PBA Tour titlist and 2001 Masters champion lives just 45 minutes from Brunswick Zone Carolier and used that home-town feel to go 3-0 in the opening rounds of the double-elimination match-play bracket.
A total of 16 players remain in the bracket with eight players undefeated and eight players in the elimination bracket. Another series of matches Saturday will determine the five players who will advance to the live ESPN finals on Sunday at 3 p.m. Eastern.
“When you look at the 16 players who are left, regardless of whom you bowl, all of these guys know what they are doing and know their ball motion well,” said Bohn, who defeated Matt McNiel of Prior Lake, Minn., 700-688, in the third round. “There are no easy matches left.”
Bohn, who won the PBA World Championship in November during the GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling IV for his second major title, will take on two-hander Jason Belmonte of Australia in the winners bracket Saturday at 9 a.m. ET. Other winners bracket matches include top qualifier Wes Malott of Pflugerville, Texas, against Manuel Otalora of Colombia; John Janawicz of Winter Haven, Fla., vs. Stuart Williams of England; and Brian Kretzer of Dayton, Ohio, vs. Mike Machuga of Erie, Pa.
Janawicz, a four-time Team USA member, and Otalora, a member of the Colombian national team, are the only non-professional bowlers left in the winners bracket.
“You always have to have confidence you can win, but these guys are the best in the world,” said Janawicz, who blew past Mike Edwards of Tulsa, Okla., 692-555, in his third match. “I have tremendous respect for the guys who do this for a living. It just feels good to be able to come in and compete alongside them.”
Defending champion Mike Fagan of Dallas was eliminated Friday after losing his first two matches. He lost to Malott in the opening round, 770-695, and then fell to Martin Larsen of Sweden, 749-718.
Among the players still alive in the elimination portion of the bracket is Chris Barnes of Double Oak, Texas, who would join Norm Duke and Mike Aulby as the only players to complete the PBA’s Grand Slam with a victory this week. The Grand Slam is made up of the four majors on the PBA Tour - the USBC Masters, PBA Tournament of Champions, U.S. Open and the PBA World Championship.
Hall of Famer Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla., who also is still alive in the elimination bracket, has a chance to join Aulby as only the second player to win three Masters titles.
The Masters, which features a total prize fund of $325,000 including a $50,000 first prize, is a major event on the PBA Tour and is part of the World Tenpin Bowling Association World Bowling Tour for the third consecutive season.
All rounds of the Masters are being covered live on Xtra Frame, the PBA’s online bowling channel. For more information on the Masters, including live scoring, visit BOWL.com/Masters.
UNITED STATES BOWLING CONGRESS MASTERS
Brunswick Zone Carolier, North Brunswick, N.Y., Friday
THREE-GAME, DOUBLE-ELIMINATION MATCH PLAY
(1) Wes Malott, Pflugerville, Texas, def. (64) Mike Fagan, Dallas, 770-675.
(33) Allen Rice II, Salem, Ala., def. (32) Martin Larsen, Sweden, 737-683.
(48) Nathan Bohr, Wichita, Kan., def. (17) Jason Sterner, McDonough, Ga., 642-595.
(49) John Brockland, St. Charles, Mo., def. (16) John Szczerbinski, North Tonawanda, N.Y., 739-678.
(9) Scott Norton, Mission Viejo, Calif., def. (56) Gary Faulkner, Norfolk, Va., 710-623.
(41) Mike Scroggins, Amarillo, Texas, def. (24) Kyle Bigelow, Troy, Ohio, 755-607.
(40) Doug Kent, Newark, N.Y., def. (25) Craig LeMond, Jasper, Ind., 636-576.
(57) Manuel Otalora, Colombia, def. (8) Chris Barnes, Double Oak, Texas, 723-719.
(60) Dick Allen, Columbia, S.C., def. (5) Brian LeClair, Albany, N.Y., 703-666.
(28) John Janawicz, Winter Haven, Fla., def. (37) Marshall Kent, Yakima, Wash., 610-565.
(21) Mike Edwards, Tulsa, Okla., def. (44) Matt Gasn, Laurel, Md., 695-611.
(53) Michael Markis, Tafton, Pa., def. (12) Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y., 715-640.
(13) Tom Daugherty, Wesley Chapel, Fla., def. (52) Ronnie Russell, Marion, Ind., 728-562.
(20) D.J. Archer, Friendswood, Texas, def. (45) Timothy Foy Jr., Salisbury, Md., 651-599.
(29) Stuart Williams, England, def. (36) Tommy Jones, Simpsonville, S.C., 628-626.
(4) Mike Moore, Orlando, Fla., def. (61) Adam Chase, Seaford, N.Y., 644-634.
(3) Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., def. (62) Tetsuya Kobayashi, Japan, 666-621.
(30) Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J., def. (35) Andres Gomez, Colombia, 615-535.
(46) Michael Haugen Jr., Carefree, Ariz., def. (19) Josh Blanchard, Gilbert, Ariz., 731-718.
(14) Matt McNiel, Prior Lake, Minn., def. (51) Devin Golden, Coopersburg, Pa., 630-609.
(11) Dan MacLelland, Canada, def. (54) Chris Loschetter, Avon, Ohio, 782-638.
(22) Jason Belmonte, Australia, def. (43) Brian Ziesig, Levittown, N.Y., 674-646.
(27) Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., def. (38) Dino Castillo, Carrollton, Texas, 699-694.
(59) Daniel Dunleavy, Staten Island, N.Y., def. (6) Mika Koivuniemi, Hartland, Mich., 719-682.
(58) Brian Kretzer, Dayton, Ohio, def. (7) Rhino Page, Dade City, Fla., 669-608.
(26) Ryan Shafer, Horseheads, N.Y., def. (39) Jeff Kubasak, Staten Island, N.Y., 651-585.
(42) Patrick Allen, Wesley Chapel, Fla., def. (23) Jon VanHees, Charlestown, R.I., 690-604.
(10) Osku Palermaa, Finland, def. (55) Eddie VanDaniker Jr., Chatsworth, Calif., 666-656.
(50) Tyson Branagan, Bedford, Texas, def. (15) Sean Rash, Montgomery, Ill., 696-685.
(47) Lee Vanderhoef, Greenville, S.C., def. (18) Scott Newell, Deland, Fla., 655-632.
(31) Michael Machuga, Erie, Pa., def. (34) Ildemaro Ruiz, Venezuela, 697-596.
(63) Eugene McCune, Munster, Ind., def. (2) Todd Book, Russells Point, Ohio, 710-641.
WINNERS BRACKET ROUND ONE
Malott def. Rice, 732-668.
Brockland def. Bohr, 684-676.
Norton def. Scroggins, 729-591.
Otalora def. D. Kent, 643-598.
Janawicz def. D. Allen, 670-627.
Edwards def. Mackis, 645-547.
Daugherty def. Archer, 700-687.
S. Williams def. Chase, 832-709.
Bohn def. Weber, 725-651.
McNiel def. Haugen, 731-661.
Belmonte def. MacLelland, 749-711.
W.R. Williams def. Dunleavy, 601-585.
Kretzer def. Shafer, 622-618.
P. Allen def. Palermaa, 658-621.
Branagan def. Vanderhoef, 695-669.
Machuga def. McCune, 642-618.
ELIMINATION BRACKET ROUND ONE
(Losers eliminated, earn $1,700)
Larsen def. Fagan, 749-718.
Barnes def. LeMond, 655-616.
Sterner def. Szczerbinski, 671-626.
Bigelow def. Faulkner, 611-582.
M. Kent def. LeClair, 631-563.
Jones def. Moore, 718-682.
Ciminelli def. Gasn, 727-562.
Russell def. Foy, 688-650.
Gomez def. Kobayahsi, 700-569.
Koivuniemi def. Castillo, 721-701.
Blanchard def. Golden, 777-563.
Loschetter def. Ziesig, 626-590.
Page def. Kubasak, 656-560.
Book def. Ruiz, 736-609.
VanHees def. VanDaniker, 769-685.
Rash def. Newell, 709-643.
ELIMINATION BRACKET ROUND TWO
(Losers eliminated, earn $2,000)
Haugen def. Larsen, 684-678.
Barnes def. MacLelland, 730-677.
Sterner def. Weber, 683-591.
Bigelow def. Dunleavy, 643-578.
Palermaa def. M. Kent, 688-682.
Jones def. Vanderhoef, 747-608.
Ciminelli def. Shafer, 720-664.
Russell def. McCune, 758-652.
Gomez def. Bohr, 703-614.
Koivuniemi def. Scroggins, 658-577.
Rice def. Blanchard, 709-669.
D. Kent def. Loschetter, 671-657.
Page def. Markis, 665-664.
Archer def. Book, 732-622.
VanHees def. D. Allen, 698-677.
Rash def. Chase, 781-562.
WINNERS BRACKET ROUND TWO
Malott def. Brockland, 741-636.
Otalora def. Norton, 639-618.
Janawicz def. Edwards, 692-555.
S. Williams def. Daugherty, 682-647.
Bohn def. McNiel, 700-688.
Belmonte def. W.R. Williams, 761-685.
Kretzer def. P. Allen, 646-618.
Machuga def. Branagan, 532-531.
ELIMINATION BRACKET ROUND THREE
(Losers eliminated, earn $2,400)
Barnes def. Haugen, 696-594.
Sterner def. Bigelow, 603-592.
Jones def. Palermaa, 647-590.
Ciminelli def. Russell, 712-611.
Koivuniemi def. Gomez, 620-609.
D. Kent def. Rice, 698-695.
Archer def. Page, 740-681.
Rash def. VanHees, 694-644.
ELIMINATION BRACKET ROUND FOUR
(Losers eliminated, earn $2,800)
Barnes def. Edwards, 678-597.
Daugherty def. Sterner, 702-604,
Jones def. Brockland, 677-640.
Ciminelli def. Norton, 630-557.
Koivuniemi def. Branagan, 783-523.
P. Allen def. D. Kent, 733-602.
W.R. Williams def. Archer, 764-563.
McNiel def. Rash, 693-643.
SATURDAY’S PAIRINGS (9 a.m. ET)
WINNERS BRACKET, ROUND THREE
Wes Malott, Pflugerville, Texas vs. Manuel Otalora, Colombia.
John Janawicz, Lake Wales, Fla. vs. Stuart Williams, England.
Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J., vs. Jason Belmonte, Australia.
Brian Kretzer, Dayton, Ohio, vs. Michael Machuga, Erie, Pa.
ELIMINATION BRACKET, ROUND FIVE
Chris Barnes, Double Oak, Texas, vs. Tom Daugherty, Wesley Chapel, Fla.
Tommy Jones, Simpsonville, S.C., vs. Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y.
Mika Koivuniemi, Hartland, Mich., vs. Patrick Allen, Wesley Chapel, Fla.
Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., vs. Matt McNiel, Prior Lake, Minn.