Tickets for the CBS Sports Network finals of five PBA Grand Casino Hotel & Resort Summer Swing events are now available. The finals of the Wolf, Badger, Bear, PBA Oklahoma Open, and Oklahoma’s Grand Casino Resort King of the Swing special event will be contested in the Grand Casino Event Center in Shawnee, Okla., on Saturday and Sunday, May 16-17.
Individual day passes can be purchased at http://www.grandboxoffice.com/event?eventid=66 for $25. Day passes are for general admission seating in the balcony overlooking the two-lane bowling installation, and are good for all telecasts happening the day of purchase. Weekend passes can be purchased at http://www.grandboxoffice.com/event?eventid=65. Tickets are $60 each, allow access to all finals conducted over the weekend, and will be good for general admission seating on the first floor bleachers next to the lanes.
The May 16 schedule includes the Wolf Open finals at 11 a.m. (CT), Bear Open at 2:30 and Badger Open at 5:15. The May 17 schedule includes the Oklahoma Open finals at noon and the King of the Swing at 3:30 p.m.
Summer Swing qualifying rounds will be held at nearby Firelake Bowling Center May 11-14. Defending champions are Sean Rash, Wolf Open; Ronnie Russell, Bear Open; Bill O’Neill, Badger Open, and Jason Belmonte, Oklahoma Open. O’Neill also won the King of Swing special event to conclude the 2014 Summer Swing.
For players and fans who are planning to travel to the Oklahoma’s Grand Casino Resort & Hotel for the event, rooms can now be booked at http://www.grandresortok.com/hotel/ or by calling reservations at (405) 964-7777. Grand Casino Resort is a full-service complex featuring the 262-room Grand Hotel, restaurants, golf course and many other amenities.
Bowling fans also are invited to bowl with the pros in the pro-am program on Saturday, May 9, at Firelake. To enter contact the FireLake Bowling Center at (405) 275-0404.
“BROOKYN STyLES” PBA LEAGUE VIRTUAL BOWLING BALL DEBUTS THIS WEEK
Number seven in the series of PBA League “virtual” bowling balls being introduced into Concrete Software’s PBA Bowling Challenge game on Thursday (March 19) will be the BROOKLYN STyLES. PBA League-logoed “virtual” team balls for gaming play already available to PBA Bowling Challenge players include the Dallas Strikers, GEICO New York WTT KingPins, Silver Lake Atom Splitters, Pittsburgh Jack Rabbits, Motown Muscle and L.A. X. The final remaining PBA League virtual ball, featuring the Philadelphia Hitmen logo, will be added to the PBA Bowling Challenge arsenal on March 26, just ahead of the start of PBA League Elias Cup competition March 28-29 at Bayside Bowl in Portland, Maine.
PBA League virtual balls are in play for the more than 12 million people who play PBA Bowling Challenge Mobile Game on a regular basis. The PBA Bowling Challenge by Concrete Software app is available on Google Play, Apple iOS, Amazon App Store and Nook.
BRUNSWICK STARS TO CONDUCT “MINI CAMPS” IN MAINE, NEW YORK, RHODE ISLAND
An all-star lineup of Brunswick pro staff players will participate in a series of four Brunswick Mini Camps in Maine, New York and Rhode Island in the weeks ahead, starting with a session at Sparetime Recreation in Hallowell, Maine, prior to start of the PBA’s “Maine Event” program in Portland.
Beginning with the Hallowell program on Thursday, March 26, from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m., the mini camp program will include instruction programs on lane play and ball layout involving Brunswick/DV8 staff members PBA Hall of Famers Parker Bohn III, Walter Ray Williams Jr. and Johnny Petraglia; former PBA Player of the Year Sean Rash; PBA Tour champions Tom Smallwood, Jason Sterner, Tom Hess and Ryan Ciminelli; two-handed veteran Brian Valenta, and Brunswick/DV8 ball rep Chuck Gardner.
Additional mini camps are scheduled for April 1 at Thunderbird Lanes in Syracuse, N.Y.; April 2 at Pat Tarsio Lanes in Newburgh, N.Y., and April 4 at East Providence Lanes in Rumford, R.I., on April 4. The basic tuition fee is $225. An additional upgrade fee includes a Brunswick/DV8 ball. To reserve your spot, contact Sean Rash (316-250-2980 or email: email@example.com), or go to BrunswickBowlingCamp on Facebook.
ANGELO WINS KUWAIT OPEN; PBA STARS HEAD TO MUNICH
Brad Angelo of Lockport, N.Y., defeated Tommy Jones of Simpsonville, S.C., 257-191, to win the $25,000 first prize in the Kuwait International Open Saturday in Kuwait City. The tournament was not a PBA International-World Bowling Tour approved event.
In the stepladder finals, Hong Kong’s Michael Mak eliminated Finland’s Mika Koivuniemi in match one, 223-201; DJ Archer of Friendswood, Texas, defeated Mak in match two, 226-223, and Jones ousted Archer in the semifinal match, 234-173, to advance to the title match. Other PBA members who finished among the top 15 modified match play finalists were Sweden’s Robert Andersson; John Szczerbinski of N. Tonawanda, N.Y.; Dom Barrett of England; Ildemaro Ruiz of Venezuela; Jason Sterner of Covington, Ga., and Marshall Kent of Yakima, Wash.
PBA players will complete a three-event PBA International-World Bowling Tour series this week at Dream-Bowl Palace in Munich, Germany, site of the Brunswick Euro Challenge, which ends Sunday. Kent is defending champion. First prize will be $12,000 and a PBA International Tour title if the winner is a PBA member. PBA fans can follow the action in Munich on the official tournament website, http://brunswickeurochallenge.com/results-2015/
PBA REGIONAL UPDATE: BORESCH WINS MILESTONE 30TH REGIONAL TITLE
Lennie Boresch Jr. of Kenosha, Wis., defeated Mike Mineman of St. Louis, 234-218, to win the PBA50 Showtime Lanes Midwest/Central Open in Virden, Ill., Sunday for his 30th overall regional title. Along with his second PBA50 Midwest title of the year, Boresch also took home the $1,500 first prize.
Boresch defeated amateur Ken Galitsky of Plainfield, Ind., 2-0 in the best of three-game semifinal round while Mineman edged Brad Sipes of Bloomington, Ill., 2-1, in the other semifinal round match.
● PBA Regional action continues over the March 20-22 weekend with the PBA50 Fayetteville (N.C.) Open at Lafayette Lanes; the PBA50 Rossi Lanes Open in Elmira, N.Y.; the joint PBA Trumbull County Tourism Bureau Central/East Open presented by DV8 at Bell-Wick Bowl in Hubbard, Ohio; the PBA Odessa (Texas) Southwest Open at Astro Bowl; the PBA50 Boys & Girls Club Midwest/Central Open presented by MOTIV at Liberty Lanes in Carpentersville, Ill., and the PBA Caveman Bowl Northwest/West Open in Grants Pass, Ore.
● Wrapping up the March regional calendar over the 27-28 weekend will be the PBA50 Tony Grigat Allstate Midwest/Central Open presented by DV8 at Willowbrook Lanes in Willowbrook, Ill.
For complete PBA Regional schedules, rules and entry information, visit pba.com, open the “schedules” tab and click on Regional Tours to find the event(s) in your area.
● Reminder: Voting on the PBA’s “best trick shot ever” will close on Friday at 8 p.m. ET. Visit pba.com and click on the “Trick Shot Poll” link (http://www.pba.com/Vote/) to preview great tricks performed by Norm Duke, Chris Barnes, Osku Palermaa and the late Andy Varipapa. The results will be revealed on ESPN telecasts of PBA League competition from Bayside Bowl in Portland, Maine, beginning with the No. 4 video on the Sunday, March 29, coverage of PBA League quarterfinal round 1; No. 3 on the April 5 coverage of PBAL quarterfinal round 2, the two finalists will be shown on the April 12 PBAL semifinal telecast for another “best of all-time” fan vote, and the winner will be revealed during the PBA League Elias Cup finals telecast on Sunday, April 19.
● PBA fans can earn a discount on an Xtra Frame Season Ticket subscription with the purchase of a new bowling ball through a special limited-time arrangement with Bowling Infinity Group. Visit http://offthetrailer.com/ for details on how to earn a $25 discount and free shipping on the bowling ball-Xtra Frame Season Ticket package now through April 30.
● Reminder: Every month, HotelPlanner.com, the official travel partner of the PBA, is awarding a $200 lodging gift certificate to a lucky person who books a hotel room through HotelPlanner.com. Use the “Book Hotel” link on pba.com before the last day of the month, and you will be automatically entered. The $200 gift certificate will be valid for hotel room and tax only.