The inaugural PBA Team Challenge, inviting PBA players and all comers to put together a roster of five players for a team battle never before seen in the United States, has already produced some interesting combinations of players.
Among the first 15 teams entered are Team Fish, the Couch Potatoes, the unnamed “super team,” another unnamed team with a distinct international flavor, teams with pronounced regional ties, others with lots of collegiate experience, and it’s rumored an all-women’s team will be in the field.
Team Fish, as previously announced, includes five PBA players who like to have fun: Dick (FishStick) Allen, Kyle (AfroFish) Troup, Connor (FishFord) Pickford, Anthony (TwoFinFish) Simonsen and Kris (WickedFish) Prather while PBA Hall of Famer Jason Couch’s Couch Potatoes includes fellow lefty Ryan Ciminelli, Denmark’s Thomas Larsen, Ryan Shafer, Dave Wodka and Couch himself.
The so-called “super team” without an official name features Chris Barnes, Jason Belmonte, Tommy Jones, Wes Malott and Bill O’Neill – owners of a combined 13 major championships among their 63 total PBA titles. The “internationals” includes England’s Dom Barrett and Stu Williams bowling with Sweden’s Martin Larsen, Finland’s Osku Palermaa and token U.S. player Patrick Allen.
Team Brunswick is in the field with Sean Rash, Parker Bohn III, Tom Smallwood, Jason Sterner and the king of PBA title winners, Walter Ray Williams Jr. South America will challenge the field with Colombia’s Andres Gomez, Jaime Gonzalez, Jaime Monroy, Manuel Otalora and Venezuela’s Ildemaro Ruiz.
If experience counts, look to the McCorkle Real Estate team which includes PBA50 Tour stars Tom Baker, Bob Learn Jr., Ron Mohr, Amleto Monacelli and Pete Weber.
For more information on who is entered, check out the link to current team rosters:
Entries for the PBA Team Challenge, as well as the Mark Roth/Marshall Holman PBA Doubles Championship and PBA Xtra Frame South Point Las Vegas Open singles event, are being accepted online (https://secure.pba.com/Store/catalog/entry-fee-national-open,8.htm) or by calling Mary von Krueger at 206-332-9688 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
The PBA Team Challenge will include six full qualifying games by all five team members at 9 a.m. PT on Saturday, Oct. 24, followed by 12 Baker format qualifying games at 5 p.m. After 18 combined team games, the top eight teams will advance to a Baker format round-robin match play at 9 a.m. Sunday, and after a combined 26 team games, the top four teams will bowl a Baker format stepladder final round at 3 p.m. All PBA Team Challenge competition will be covered live, exclusively on PBA’s Xtra Frame online bowling channel.
NOW AIRING ON XTRA FRAME: BOWLMOR AMF WOMEN’S U.S. OPEN
Now airing on Xtra Frame is exclusive live coverage of the Bowlmor AMF U.S. Women’s Open from Brunswick Zone-Carolier in North Brunswick, N.J. The qualifying and match play rounds will be covered through Saturday. The stepladder finals will air live on CBS Sports Network on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET.
Next up on Xtra Frame will be the preliminary rounds of the season-ending Smithfield PWBA Tour Championship presented by gobowling.com on Friday, Sept. 11, from the International Training and Research Center in Arlington, Texas. The PWBA Tour Championship finals will air live on CBS Sports Network on Sunday, Sept. 13, at 1 p.m. ET.
PBA action returns to Xtra Frame on Oct. 4 with the Kokomo Central Shootout presented by Security Federal Savings Bank from Heritage Lanes in Kokomo, Ind., followed by the PBA Xtra Frame Iowa Midwest Open from Thunderbowl in Council Bluffs, Iowa, Oct. 10-11, where a projected $10,000 first prize and a PBA Tour title will be at stake.
The Iowa Midwest Open is the final event leading into the PBA Fall Classic, a multi-event Xtra Frame extravaganza hosted by South Point Bowling Plaza in Las Vegas beginning Oct. 19 and concluding with the PBA Team Challenge finals on Sunday, Oct. 25.
Bowling fans who want to sample Xtra Frame can subscribe on a three-day (72-hour) basis for only $3.99. Fans can lock in the entire September package with a full month Xtra Frame subscription for only $7.99. But PBA’s best package is the 12-month XF Season Ticket for $64.99, or $5.41 per month. To sign up, visit pba.com and click on the Xtra Frame link.
PBA MODERN CLASSICS LIBRARY ON YOUTUBE
Australian two-handed star Jason Belmonte gave PBA fans a preview of things to come when he won the Bowling Foundation Long Island Classic in West Babylon, N.Y., in March 2009, leading to his selection as PBA Rookie of the Year. You can re-visit Belmonte as a PBA rookie and re-live his first PBA Tour victory, earned on a pair of lanes featuring different lane conditions on each lane, by watching the newest addition to the PBA Modern Classics Library on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApZeNeIxFus.
Coming soon to the PBA Modern Classics collection will be the 2009 National Bowling Stadium Championship from Reno, Nev., where Patrick Allen ran the table, winning the title over PBA Hall of Famer Walter Ray Williams Jr. in a match that wasn’t settled until a dramatic 10th frame.
You’ll find the complete collection of classic PBA Tour telecasts in the PBA Modern Classics Library on YouTube, with new telecasts being added on a regular basis.
PBA REGIONAL UPDATE: FINAL MONTH OF PBA REGIONAL CHALLENGE QUALIFYING
September is the final month of qualifying for men and women trying for berths in the PBA Regional and PWBA-PBA Women’s Regional Challenge events which will be held as part of the GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling VII in December at the National Bowling Stadium in Reno. The top players in competition points in each of the PBA’s eight regions will earn paid entries into the World Series and they’ll compete for berths in the PBA Challenge Finals, which will be part of the PBA’s ESPN series originating from WSOB VII. For current points standings in each PBA region, click here (http://www.pba.com/Tours/Regional/) and then click on the region in question to find points standings.
For news of last weekend’s activities, and a full schedule of September tournaments, see below:
● Amateur Michael Tang of San Francisco and partner Jeff Frankos of Daly City, Calif., posted a 6-4 match play record and a combined 18-game total of 8,487 pins Sunday to win the PBA Tony Reyes Memorial Member/Non-Member Doubles presented by Brunswick at 4th Street Bowl in San Jose, Calif.
Tang, a member of Junior Team USA, and Frankos defeated Jake Peters of Henderson, Nev. and amateur Adam Ishman of Las Vegas, who had a 9-1 match play record and 8,329 pins. Tang and Frankos shared the $4,000 first prize. Peters and Ishman earned $2,000.
● Shawn Maldonado from Houston, Texas, defeated Roger Petrin of Grand Prairie, Texas, 257-212, to win the second annual PBA Grand Casino Resort & Hotel Southwest Invitational at FireLake Bowling Center in Shawnee, Okla., Sunday.
Maldonado, fresh off his victory in Greenville, Texas, a week earlier, overcame an open frame to start the championship match and followed with seven strikes to claim the $4,500 winner’s check.
After qualifying fifth and earning a berth into the Round of 12, the Houston two-handed player started his road to victory by eliminating defending champion Wes Malott of Pflugerville, Texas, 2-1, in their best-of-three-game match; newly-inducted PBA Southwest Region Hall of Famer Chris Barnes from Double Oak, Texas, 2-0, in the Round of 8, and DJ Archer of Kingwood, Texas, in the semifinal round, 246-170.
● Brian Gunn of Chicago defeated Sean Rash of Montgomery, Ill. 279-269, to win the PBA Illinois Valley Midwest/Central Region Open at Super Bowl in Peru, Ill., Sunday.
Gunn, who fired a 269 game in his position round match to sneak into the stepladder finals, then posted an 809 series in three stepladder matches to collect his second career PBA Regional title along with the $2,100 first prize. He defeated Brad Miller of St. Charles, Mo. 251-195, in the first match before eliminating PBA rookie A.J. Johnson of Oswego, Ill., 279-233.
● Lee Vanderhoef of Canton, Ga., rallied to defeat Kip Roberts of Glen Allen, Va., 2-1, in the best-of-three-game title match to win the PBA Fayetteville South Open presented by Global 900 at Lafayette Lanes in Fayetteville, N.C., Sunday.
After losing the first game, 232-190, Vanderhoef came back to win the next two games, 237-227 and 221-173, to win his 12th South Region title and his first since 2008. He also earned $2,500.
In the semifinal round, Vanderhoef defeated Tom Daugherty of Wesley Chapel, Fla., 2-1. After winning the opening game in a one-ball roll-off, 9-7, after a 258-258 tie, Daugherty won game two, 210-214, before Vanderhoef won the third game, 278-208. Roberts eliminated Dan Buchman of Maple Shade, N.J., 247-214, 236-214, in the other semifinal match.
● A limited schedule of Labor Day weekend activity for the PBA Regional program includes back-to-back events at George Pappas’ Victory Lanes in Mooresville, N.C. – the PBA60 Wilson & Son Pest Control Super Senior South Open, Sept. 3-5, followed by the PBA50 Budweiser Mooresville South Open presented by Columbia 300. Also on tap is the PBA50 Strike Zone/Ebonite East Open, Sept. 4-6, at Strike Zone in Pottsville, Pa.
● The PBA60 Warpath Kingsport Super Senior South Open is scheduled for mid-week (Tuesday-Thursday, Sept. 8-10) in Kingsport, Tenn., leading into the Sept. 11-13 weekend schedule which includes the McAlester Southwest Open presented by Columbia 300 at Great Balls of Fire Entertainment Center in McAlester, Okla.; the PBA50 Howell Lanes East Open presented by Radical in Howell, N.J., and the Moon City Central Classic at Astro Lanes in Wapakoneta, Ohio.
● On tap over the Sept. 18-20 weekend are the Rex & Griffin Bigelow Memorial/BW3’s/Nance Construction Central Open presented by MOTIV at Troy Bowl in Troy, Ohio; the Sarasota South Open at Sarasota Lanes in Sarasota, Fla.; the PBA50 Lakeview Lanes East Open presented by Brunswick in Fulton, N.Y.; the Dallas Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeons Southwest Open at Brunswick Zone-Watauga, Texas, and the Sunday-only Budweiser Midwest Open at Diamond Jo Casino’s Cherry Lanes in Dubuque, Iowa.
● The final chance to earn PBA and PWBA Regional Challenge points for 2015 will take place over the Sept. 25-27 weekend. The schedule includes the PBA and PWBA-PBA Women’s Tomball Southwest Open at Tomball Bowl in Tomball, Texas; the Battle at Black Oak Casino West Open at Black Oak Lanes in Tuolumne, Calif.; the Break Point Alley Member/Non-Member Doubles presented by MOTIV in Tavares, Fla.; the Monte Skeels Allstate and PWBA-PBA Women’s Midwest Open tournaments at Liberty Lanes in Carpentersville, Ill., and the PBA50 Mel Westrich Memorial Central/Midwest Open presented by Storm at Delphos Recreation Center in Delphos, Ohio,
For complete PBA Regional schedules, rules and entry information, visit pba.com, open the “schedules” tab and click on Regional Tours to find the event(s) in your area.
● Remember, book a room through HotelPlanner.com’s link on pba.com and you’ll become eligible to win a $200 lodging certificate in the monthly sweepstakes sponsored by PBA’s official hotel booking partner, just like Paul Bajorski did in the month of August.
● Subscribe to Xtra Frame (monthly plan at $7.99 or XF Season Ticket for $64.99) to automatically enter the monthly MOTIV and DV8 sweepstakes for a chance to win a new high-performance MOTIV or DV8 bowling ball. New subscribers Harry Archer of Churchville, Va., won the new MOTIV ball in August while Philip Cotton of Salem, Ore., won the DV8 ball.
# # #